Fool-a-Fish





Friday, March 25, 2005

Bridges vs Fisher in I-Match Competition

I fished my first I-Match competition yesterday, and had a great time. I caught 32 bass between 6:30AM and 3:00PM on Lake Belton. We arrived to find that the wind was blowing at 10+ mph and it was cloudy in the mid 50's. The wind would play a huge factor in the tournament because it would shift directions and blow up to 20 mph at times and be totally still at others. It was almost as if it was confused about which way it was supposed to be blowing. :-)

I started the morning off with a 3/8 oz white/blue Strike King spinner bait and started catching fish right from the start, first fish of the day came on the second cast and it was just over 14 inches long. I was pretty pumped at that moment, knowing that Danny had headed up the lake and was probably still running the lake and I already had my first keeper. At 10:30 AM, I got a little concerned that I'd caught a number of short fish and 1 keeper, so I switched to a Carolina rigged watermelon lizard made by Zoom hoping to get some bigger fish. I put my next two keepers in the boat with the C-rig between 10:30 and 12:30 fishing the cliffs across from Temple Lake Park. Unfortunately the area I caught them out of wasn't producing the numbers of fish I knew I need to win, so I started running and gunning to locate more fish and better quality fish, I switched between a 3/4 oz Chrome blue back rattle trap and a watermelon fluke. The wind was blowing pretty hard now, so spotting a bedded fish was impossible at this point. Both of the lures I was using caught fish near 14 inches, but no keepers. I had a nice small mouth pull off on the rattle trap unfortunately. I stayed on the lower end of the lake and never went up past Temple lake park. That proved to be a fatal mistake as Danny was able to run up the lake past Temple Lake park and locate males still guarding beds on the upper end. I saw beds on the lower end, but only small males or the bed was already empty. Danny caught 5 bass to give him a total weight of 13.6 lbs, while site fishing. He didn't want to say what lures he used to catch them on. I ended the day with 3 bass for 4.3 lbs. Congratulations to Danny on a great day of fishing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home