Fool-a-Fish





Tuesday, February 22, 2005

February 19, 2005, Lake Travis Tournament Results with Texas Classic Bass Club

Well the tournament didn't go as well as planned. I didn't get to prefish which didn't help since I didn't have a real feel for what the fish were going to be biting and where they were staged.

Here's how it went down.

At 5:30 AM I met up with my partner for the tournament Dan Marshall at Jones Brothers Park on Lake Travis. Weather was very cloudy/foggy with misty rain on an off all day. I've never fished with Dan since joining the club 5 years ago and always dreaded the day I would end up fishing with him based on his attitude in the club meetings. I really didn't know anything about him other than what I'd seen in the club meetings. Just goes to show you can't judge a book by the cover or the little summary on the back for that matter. You see Dan is the guy who votes against everything just to be the odd guy out and make sure nothing ever passes by unanimous vote. He's pretty quick to point out the flaw in any giving situation brought up in a meeting and follow it up with a few chosen curse words. After spending the day fishing with Dan my point of view has changed. Despite being rough around the edges, he's a great fisherman and solid guy. I'd be glad to pair up with him again in the future. Ok so back to the fishing. We loaded Dan's tackle and launched the boat. I didn't even start the big engine, we just started fishing at the ramp in the dark. We wouldn't see any sun light for another hour and half so we made our way around to some lighted boat docks and fished those with no luck, spinner baits couldn't help us there. The sky lighten up enough that we could finally see where the water and land meet without using a light so we went back to the boat launch. I told Dan I was fairly confident there would be some bass suspended out on the end of that ramp and sure enough, I lost two on 5 inch senkos pretty quickly and switched to a 4 inch model when I got a solid hook set, 13 3/4 inch Guadalupe bass. Two or three casts later Dan hooked up with a 12 inch Guadalupe as well on a wacky rigged worm. Went for a long spell with nothing else hitting and decided to head out of Sandy Creek. We stopped and fished a few points and ledges with cranks and spinner baits with no success. Finally stopped at Long Hollow and picked up a few dinks on spinner baits and crank baits. Then moved over to Valente Beach and fished that area with no success. Final stop was fishing some cliffs at the mouth of Cypress Creek that finally produced the only keeper of the day for us, I caught a 15 1/2 inch large mouth bass on a crank bait. Needless to say we were really disappointed with our weigh-in when we showed up at the scales to see other teams with big bags of fish. Glad to see we weren't the only team that struggled though. Looking back I should have put down that spinner bait and dragged more plastic. You can't win the all. :-) Official tournament results are posted at http://www.tcbc.net/results/feb05.htm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home