Fool-a-Fish





Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Fishing in Round Rock Ponds

I have been fishing at a few of the local ponds in Round Rock over the last week, Meadow Lake, Mill Pond and a tiny community pond that's unnamed. Thought I'd share some info about these trips. We've had a rather wet and warm winter season due to an El Nino weather pattern. All the great bed fishing that would normally be going on this time of the year has been spoiled by constant run off causing muddy/cloudy water that would normally be clear. Don't let that get you down the fish are still there, you just can't see them.

Ok so the scoop on Meadow lake : I fished it with a white senko rigged weightless Texas style and went down the spillway that has produced numbers of large fish this time of the year in the past. Proof to this can be seen here. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a single bite on the white senko that produced a 7 lb fish two years ago. Clint 2003

I didn't get out and fish Meadow lake last year. I did however catch fish on a Baby N -1 crank bait in brown back/chartreuse belly. Nothing of size to brag about though, but they were hitting it. I didn't see any signs of bedding fish while walking the banks of the pond. While I was fishing from the bank there was a boat on the pond and the guys had put out about 30 jug lines all over the pond, I'm not sure what they were baited with, but I did see them catch several nice 4+ lb catfish on the various jugs.
As for Mill Pond and the tiny community pond near where I live, those are both producing fish in numbers in the 1 to 2 lb range. Some are on beds and fat with eggs, but the water in both of the ponds is muddy so I haven't actually seen a bed yet. I'm guessing they're on beds because the fish are biting right next to the bank in 1 to 2 feet of water. I plan on making a few trips this week to see if the water conditions improve and the fish move up closer to the banks with warmer weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home