Fool-a-Fish





Thursday, July 28, 2005

BASS Magazine subscription Marketing Gone Wrong.

I have bought a subscription to Bassmaster magazine for years. It truly is a great resource of fishing information that I value greatly. Over the years I have paid anywhere from $12 a year to $25 a year for the subscription. Why the range? Well it boils down to marketing really. I ordered my first subscription off a commercial on the Outdoor Network one Saturday morning when I was in high school back in 93' and I think I paid $20 for a year. I got 11 magazines, plus the "Free" value pack. The value pack hasn't changed much, a spool of line, some lures, a patch and some stickers. I take it back, I don't think you get the patch anymore, just the stickers. A year later I got several renewal notices and all of them offered something different and included different prices. One sent to me a few months after I let my subscription expire was $12 for 11 magazines, but no "Free" value pack. Same thing happens year after year, but I rarely see the $12 offer anymore. Now I have to use someone else to get the $12 price, because in my opinion the value packs are worthless in most cases. The value packs certainly aren't worth the $8 to $13 they charge for shipping it, because the pack is "Free." If you're wondering where I renew my subscription for $12 a year? Mags On The Net will sell it to you for that price. :-) I'm sure you could call Bassmaster and get a sales person on the phone who would make you that offer, but I'd rather just do it online, quick and easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home